Due to the legal request of The Pokemon Company Dex was removed from the App Store. For more information please see this blog post.
Dex is a utility for browsing Pokémon. Using Dex you can:
- Browse and search all five generations of Pokémon.
- View a Pokémon’s base stats and elemental type including its defensive type effectiveness.
- Examine pokemon evolution chains and requirements.
- Play Pokémon cries.
- Jump to popular online pokédexes including Bulbapedia, Serebii, Marriland and Smogon.
- Browse elemental types to see attack and defensive effectiveness.
If you run into a problem or want to submit feedback please use the following links.
If you enjoy using Dex we graciously ask that you visit iTunes and post a review.
Pokémon and related characters are ©1995,2010 Nintendo, Creatures, Gamefreak and Pokémon Inc.
Dex is not a licensed product of Nintendo.
- Improved error descriptions for failed in-app purchases.
- Fixed a crash when the user would change the active filter while searching.
- Fixed an error that would cause the last row of the search results to be covered up by an ad.
- Fixed evolution description for Tyrogue to include level needed.
- Fixed label for attacking types. Now says “No effect against:” (previously said “from”).
- Adjusted the evolution descriptions for Escavalier (‘Trade a Karrablast for a Shelmet’) and Accelgor (‘Trade a Shelmet for a Karrablast’).
- Fixed bad alignment of the “Sp. Atk” label in pokémon detail view. Thanks Marc!
- Made some more adjustments to the ad view layout code to (hopefully) avoid ad views sometimes overlapping the main content area.
- If you previously searched “dark” you’d see Darkrai twice, since dark is in his name as well as his type. This is now fixed and the search result list should no longer contain duplicate pokémon.
- Fixed a bug that would cause the table view to be hidden under an ad view under some occasions.
- Implemented all generation 5 English names. Should any of these prove to be incorrect fixes will be issued.
- Added better accessibility labels for improved VoiceOver navigation.
- Fixed a bug that would cause Victini to appear for all searches.
- Fixed a bug that would cause the feedback / review section to never load.
- Added and confirmed a few more gen 5 English names including: Patrat, Pansage, Pansear, Panpour, Munna, Musharna, Woobat, Drilbur, Cofagrigus, Zorua, Zoroark, Gothitelle, Reuniclus, Axew, Braviary, Reshiram and Zekrom.
- Fixed an AdMob error to reduce excessive logging.
- Changed some pokémon names to match the upcoming US release: Minccino (572), Gigalith (526), Sandile (551), Blitzle (522), Pidove (519), Klink (599), Darmanitan (555).
- Improved how ads work in that ads are now shared across views which should help view loading time.
- Added evolution chains and base stats to the pokémon detail view.
- Added Previous/Next buttons to the top right of the detail view to let you flick through the list without going back and forth to the main list.
- Updated the generation 5 starters to use the new English names.
- You can now search using dex number in addition to name or type in the main list view.
- Rebuilt the ad system to (hopefully) remove some crashing behavior people reported.
- Redid some internal logic to help speed and memory usage.
- Fixed some bad type detail -- Steel is now resistant to Rock.
- Redid how Marriland links are generated which should help some previously broken links.
- Downgraded the AdWhirl lib to 2.5.5. I believe it was the 2.6 upgrade that was causing some recent crashes.
- Added generation 5 pokemon, sprites and cries!
- Added new dex filter option for Black / White.
- Added new numerical index while viewing the main list sorted by dex number.
- Added a generation 5 link for Serebii.
- Added web links to Marriland (generation 4 and 5).
- Added in-app access to the Settings panel.
- Added new settings to turn on/off the various dex links.
- Added a new setting that can play pokemon cries when you select a pokémon in the main list view. (Off by default.)
- Added an in-app purchase that allows people to turn off ads.
- Added a new section that links and encourages writing AppStore reviews as well as sending in feedback (via web form or email).
- Fixed a few memory leaks in the filter view as well as the main pokemon list.
- Fixed a drawing error on type buttons seen on older hardware.
- Fixed missing images in the web browser view for back/forward buttons in iOS 3.
- Dex now requires iOS 3.1 (previously required 4.0).
- Added a new search bar to the top of the main pokémon list view. You can currently search by pokémon names or type.
- Added a toggle to the bottom of the main pokémon list view that lets you switch between alpha and numerical sorting.
- The ability to limit the list of pokémon being browsed to a game-specific dex has been taken out of the main menu and put into an editable filter, accessible via a button in the bottom toolbar on the main pokémon list. If you are using this filter to show a game specific dex, the list view will show and sort by that game dex number (instead of the national dex number).
- Fixed some bad/missing dex numbers that would cause missing pokémon while browsing game specific dexes.
- Reworked the ad system to support AdMob in addition to iAds. People running an iOS version below 4.0 will not see iAds.
- Known issue: The "type" buttons don't look as good on 3.1 as they do on 4.0. This is due to a flicker/artifact issue I noticed in testing. If I can fix it for the next version I will.
- Fixed a bug on the Type Detail page that would sometimes cause an iAd-related crash.
- Fixed a bug that would cause the network access indicator to stay active if a web browser tab was removed while loading.